Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Don't say goodbye, say so long.

Tonight we said goodbye to our two darling Korean girls who have lived with us for the past 5 months. I am generally not a very sentimental person and can sometimes feel awkward saying goodbye to people because I feel like I'm not showing enough emotion and may come across as....I don't know, unsentimental and emotionless. And I also thought that I'd be glad when the 5 months was over to have a break and just have our family back to the four of us. But I have to say, it was hard saying bye to Jessica and Diana. I genuinely grew to love these two girls and feel like they became a part of our family. I'm going to miss them a lot.

I think that this is going to be a good lesson for us and our kids on loss and dealing with saying goodbye to people. These girls were such a joy to have as part of our family and 5 months seemed to fly by. I pray that we have a great experience with the next kids that come through our home. At times it seems like it's my 'job' to have students live with us. However, saying goodbye to Jessica and Diana tonight made me realize even more that we are learning to open up our lives beyond just our family and welcome people into our hearts and home who might otherwise never have come into our lives. We are learning how to accept and welcome cultural differences and also teaching what it's like to be a part of Canadian culture. If you want to learn more about your own country, have people from another country come and stay with you! It's facinating how much I have learned about Canada being a host parent to Koreans.

Anyways, I am thankful for the few weeks that we have off here. It'll give us a chance to clean up, rest up and gear up for the next group that's coming. This must be so confusing for Jackson. Linden is starting to understand goodbye's a bit more now, I say a bit because tomorrow morning he'll still ask to go and do homework with the girls in their room and tell me I can't come in. But Jackson, he has no idea what's going on! I wonder what he thought about the girls, who they were. And what his memories will be of them. Interesting.

Welp, g'night.
L
ps- watched "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" tonight. So random, and pretty funny. One of the guys names was Brent. He's a big, dumb, macho guy who fames himself on his childhood as "Baby Brent" the sardine kid. He doesn't remind me anything of my dad, who's name is also Brent. My dad is famous just cause he's cool. And he's not big and dumb either. I have to stop blogging so late at night.

3 comments:

  1. Ok ... your PS had me laughing outloud. You MUST keep blogging late at night :-).

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROFLOL THAT TWS SOO FUNNY LAURA! what time were you bloggin?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh..duh..nm..i see..thats not late...well maybe for a mom with two kids who get up really early???

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter