Tuesday, December 8, 2009

TOYS!!, LIGHTS!!, and the lack thereof...

I wanted to write yesterday about my day on Sunday...but I needed the full day to recover. What a day.

Sunday: a day of rest, set aside for worship and thanksgiving. A day to be with family, and also to join with others in fellowship. This past Sunday was one of fellowship, but also of complete chaos. There was silver lining, of course, outlining the chaos. Let me tell you about it.

It began with church. Well, it should have, but I opted to stay home with Jackson because if I did everything that day I'd prolly not be able to walk by the end of it (still have some post pregnancy issues). After church Mike and the girls and Linden came home and I fed them lunch. Then it was off to St. Joseph's Hospital where Mike and I were leading the residents Christmas service. We walked in and Linden saw all the wheelchairs and yelled "TOYS!!!!" haha...he must have thought they were fun ride on machines. I botched up the chords so badly on the Christmas Carols it must have been dreadful to listen to. After I was done massacre-ing what little was left of the carols I had started out with, Linden came and joined me and we sang Jingle Bells together. He did so good. The old folks loved it and I have to say I was pretty proud of the little guy myself. Mike shared a great little message and managed to keep going while Linden ran around disrupting everything.

After the service it was straight to our students school where there was an open-house-meet-the-teachers-kinda-thing. They did a really good job and their teachers are very proud of them.

Home for naps. 4:30PM is never really a good time for anyone to start a nap, but we had to put the boys down because our day was only half done. At 5:30 we woke them up, bundled them up, packed them up and drove out to Cumberland with some friends to watch the "Cumberland Lights Parade". Arriving at 6:30 we made it just on time. The parade starts at 7? oh. ok. We waited in the freezing cold until 7 o'clock came........and went. Linden was crying so hard that even the million friends of his that had also shown up to watch the parade couldn't make him happy. My poor kids were turning into popsicles. Turns out one of the trucks had a flat tire. We left. We left at 7:25 because the parade had not yet started and we were starting to be a bit of a spectacle ourselves. Linden cried all the way home, or...at least until we got to MacDonalds. The french fries calmed him down and when we got home, Linden got to have a cheeseburger.

This may seem small and insignificant to some, but for Linden this was HUGE. He hasn't had any wheat since September and I was going to let him eat the whole burger, bun included. It was SO fun to watch him savor every bite. His first bite was priceless. Grasping the burger with both hands he didn't wait to look where he was going to bite, he just chomped right in. He was sooooo happy. And so was I. "mmmmmm, this is so delicious mommy, I love this!" He said with ketchup around the edges of his little mouth. "Mai (when he's excited he shortens Mommy and daddy to Mai and Dai respectively), do wanna share?" He leaned over and gave me a bite of his cheeseburger then said, "hmm...(sigh)...nice sharing."

I feel so blessed to have my boys. Speaking of little boys, I should probably go because my baby is attacking a giant, glittery Christmas ornament and Linden just sneezed into his hands like only a 2 year old can...

Oh today...what memories will we make today....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter