Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Blog.

Well, it's two days before Christmas. I love Christmas. It's also the end of a decade. Wanna feel old? Put your age in decades. ha. Thankfully I've only lived through 2.5 decades thus far so I still feel young. I know one person who is heading into his 3rd decade this coming year. I won't tell you who though, because he might make me sleep on the couch.

All over the news people are saying it's been the worst first-decade-of-a-new-millenium ever. I'd like to ask those people how they know that, but I won't really be interested in their answer unless they are a centenarian. *side note: when I first spelled centenarian I spelled it centurian, I suppose I'd also be interested in their answer.* I guess looking back there were some pretty interesting and devestating events and happenings that took place, and I don't wish to undermine the terrible tragedies that did take place. However, for me, it was a pretty darn good decade. I graduated from the seemingly endless career of highschool. Since it has been my only career thus far I can't write it off completely as a waste of time. I went skydiving. Oh, and I got me an awesome man to marry and two awesome kids who never cease to amaze me. I'd say the latter sentence was the highlight.

I'm so thankful for life. I'm so thankful for Jesus. I'm so thankful for the opportunity He gave us to live this life for Him. Some people may say that Christmas time reduces Jesus to a commercial marketing scheme. While to some degree this may be true, I love the Christmas season because somehow there is just something joyful in the air. Even in shopping line-ups and stopped at red lights, you can see people bobbing their heads...probably humming a Christmas carol in their heads. If you're not sure though, don't ask..cause it may be bobbing due to too much caffine, or an overwhelming awareness of how much their bill is going to come to. I like to think though that in their head they are singing Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas is You.

I think Jesus likes to celebrate His birthday.  Maybe God likes to celebrate Jesus' birthday too. Maybe that's what it is that's in the air. Maybe they get jolly with Christmas spirit and make the air thick and rich with joy and peace, giving everyone the chance to reach up and grab some cheer. Maybe it's not Walmarts cheap prices and the hope that we may get spoiled this year with gifts. Perhaps the thickness and richness of the air is not something WE create. Perhaps it's created by the one who came. Could it be that nothing has changed except our focus? I wonder if that same thickness and richness was there in the air the night that Jesus was born. I'm pretty sure it was. Infact, I think that it was so thick and so rich that even the people who were desparately trying to avoid it had to wipe the rain drops of anticipation and joy off their faces.

Enjoy Christmas. Enjoy Jesus. Celebrate Christmas. Celebrate Jesus. Eat. Open presents. Play games. Enjoy family. Enjoy time off. Find things to be thankful for. Enjoy the snow even. Most of all, make sure you remember to thank Jesus for being born, even if it wasn't exactly on December 25th. Reach up and grab some cheer!

Ho, Ho, Ho!
Laura

*ahem, good thing I previewed this cause as I was reading over it I realized that even Centenarians weren't around for the beginning of the last millenium. So, in that case, I am most interested in what the Centurian has to say. I thought I'd just add this in instead of editing it so you could feel free to have a laugh at me. Not offended if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter