Friday, May 21, 2010

At least I know it...

Something that I have learned about myself over the past long time is that I have an addictive personality. There's a reason that I have never tried smoking people...I know I'd become addicted. Well, there's another reason and that is that the thought of inhaling smoke into my lungs for fun is not my idea of fun. There's also a reason I don't drink or gamble. I'd become addicted. Drinking doesn't really entice me anyways, but being truthful here - sometimes the thought of winning the 40 million dollars that the lottery companies magically have to give away seems pretty exciting. I know that the reason the amount is 40 million dollars is because millions and millions and millions of people have all bought tickets and not won, but that doesn't matter to me because hey...someone has to win, it might as well be me! Hence, the reason that I don't gamble. I would be lining up at every lottery centre around town trying to muster all my luck into one measly ticket and the real problem would be that I wouldn't think twice about buying another ticket if somehow my luck didn't transfer into the first ticket.

A good example of how I have come to know this about myself? Coffee. I'm not a huge fan of Tim Hortons coffee (sorry TH's lovers...). BUT when they have roll up the rim to win I suddenly forget about my loyalty and love for a good strong brew from Starbucks and spend irrational amounts of money on coffee from TH's so that I can get that silly little rim that is so difficult to roll up anyways. Not only do I pretty much never win, I'm shaking from the amount of coffee that I have poured into my system. Lose. Lose.

Since I have been given this gift of wisdom about myself I have decided that there would be even more wisdom in using this personality trait to my advantage. I'd like to think that my addictive personality will one day transfer into a lot of my day to day struggles...like cleaning...and healthy food...and exercise...oddly enough...it hasn't yet...still troubleshooting on that. BUT! One area it has definately leaked into is saving money!

I was recently graced with some knowledge on how to shop effectively. Lots of stuff with not a lot, or no money spent. Use flyers, hoard coupons and some other sneaky tricks have landed me in a pretty awesome position. I have concluded that at least I have acknowledged that I have a tendency to addictive behaviour and that using this tendency to save my family money is a pretty good outlet.

So if you'll excuse me...I have to go stand by the door and wait for my friday flyers to come. They usually come between 8am and 8pm, so I don't want to miss it.

LAURA
ps - if you live in BC and want to know what magical tricks and schemes I have come upon to save loads and loads of cash... my source for this wealth of information is MrsSmith - Extreme shopper...look her up on facebook under that name!! She even does skype classes if you live elsewhere in Canada*

2 comments:

  1. Laura I would REALLY like to know- it's like couponing is taking over FB...I'm so interested

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,
    on facebook if you search for MrsSmith - Extreme Shopper you'll come to wonderful page. MrsSmith teaches a class on coupon shopping and I'd highly recommend finding out if there's a class in your area soon! on her facebook page you'll find her email address. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter