Monday, November 30, 2009

Recipe: Carrot Ginger Soup

Hey Folks,

Wow, I didn't think I'd have much to post in this area...and I certainly didn't think I'd have something to post this quickly! BUT, I have a recipe for you.

Mike planted a garden and on Saturday, I harvested the carrots...We got a lot of carrots! So, I looked online to find a recipe to make soup with. It had to be good 'cause it sure wouldn't have been fun to waste all those yummy, home-grown carrots on a yucky recipe. It turned out so good! I made a few adjustments...using beef stock (as that was all I had) instead of vegetable stock and added a couple extra cups of broth to thin it a bit more. I will post the original and then leave it up to you to add your 'touch' to it. Did I mention it's healthy??!
Credit goes to : http://www.sparkrecipes.com/

Carrot Ginger Soup:

2-3 tbsp olive oil (I put 1 tbsp sesame oil and 2 tbsp olive oil)
7 Large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
1/2 med yellow onion (I used a whole one cause we like onion), chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece fresh grated ginger (or generous tsp minced ginger in a jar)
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 each: tumeric, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes
4 Cups broth of choice

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil in large pot. Add onions, cook until lightly browned. Add carrots, saute 2 min. Next, add spices and cook about 2 minutes longer until nice and fragrant.
2. Add broth, bringing to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low..
3. Simmer for 40 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
4. Blend until smooth adding more broth if necessary to thin.

There you have it! Don't fret if you're missing a spice...I didn't have tumeric and it still turned out great. Wouldn't even know it was missing it. Well...that may also be because I don't know what tumeric tastes like. Nonetheless, a yummy soup that is filling and super low in calories... It fed 4 adults for dinner, plus I've had it for lunch 3 times, and if you know me...I don't take portions lightly :) An added note: my international students aren't crazy about veggies. They GOBBLED it up.

Enjoy! But not too much cause you might turn orange.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter