Friday, November 27, 2009

That's Not My Child!

Linden went missing today. Well, at least the Linden I have known for the past 2 years. It seems that there comes a point in a child's life when they start to realize that they have more strength and understanding. With that understanding becomes an awareness of the sometimes unpleasantness of life. They start to understand that consequences for behavior is not something that is enjoyable.

We have all had the experience of being around a mom and dad who think that their child is just the cutest thing. They goo and gaa over every move their child makes. Hmmm...most of us have also BEEN that googaling gaagaaling mom or dad. We think to ourselves, "not my child. My child won't go through the ever dreaded 'terrible two's'...even worse, we may think "not my child. my child simply can't have a sinful nature. my child will never do anything to hurt me or disobey."

Then....BAM. IT HITS YOU. It hits you as your child is yanking on your arm screaming, "NO! I WANT MY BALL! AHHHHHHHHH!" You try to remain composed as you fear for the well being of your arm, but this shocking discovery has left you so surprised and without any reasoning...You burst out laughing. Probably the worst option possible, your kid (why am I still talking about you? this is my kid we're talking about here! Sorry, back to the real sorry) MY kid, notices that mommy is laughing and all of a sudden he thinks he has a new super power. When in doubt scream. Pull. Drop to the floor. This new power leaves me feeling comletely helpless. I know I'm not actually helpless because at the end of the day, I am still the mom and he's still the kid. But I tell ya, in that moment I am really at a loss for words.

I was talking to my dad about this last night and he said that indeed all kids are infact born with a sinful nature. They don't have to be taught how to have a fit. Which was something I was wondering, where on earth did Linden learn this from? I am not harsh with him physically. But sorry folks, our precious little children WILL disobey, WILL lie, and WILL hurt your feelings in doing so.

My job as a mother to Linden is the most important thing in his life right now. He NEEDS me to help him learn. "Train up a child in the way they should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it" Prov. 22:6
I took away his favorite ball. All day long it sat on the fridge and all day long he asked for it back. Each time he asked I lovingly explained why it was up there. This morning it felt really rewarding to give it back to him. Not only had he gotten his favorite ball back to start a fresh new day, I had followed through on my discipline. ummm...ok, I tried to give it back to him once but my dear hubby stopped me, thanks babe. Sometimes we need helpful reminders from our loved ones :)

So...today is a clean slate. I'll let you know where the ball is sitting at the end of the day!

Love, peace and chicken grease,
Laura

*Special Note* Linden is not actually missing, nor did he ever physically go missing.

4 comments:

  1. welcome to the neighbourhood!! you have a natural gift of writing and sharing - I'm sure you'll find blogging a great way to share your life with those who love you ... I know that I do!! And don't be offended if people don't leave comments - I've learned that a lot of people read, but don't let you know *grin* ... you may want to put a sitemeter on your page to get an idea of how many people visit ... it can make your post feel a little bit more worthwhile! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tawn - you have a natural gift of writing. I loved reading this! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura, I love that you've started writing a blog. We always see your pictures on facebook and it's nice to know what's going along with them. I'm sorry you're going through a terrible 2 stage with Linden. A friend of mine just said the same thing. A week and a half ago she had a precious little son, and he's turned into a terror. You're not alone. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE reading your writing, Laura! thanks! I commented on facebook , because I didn't know how to leave a comment on a blog........duh

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Meter